Study LLB in the UK: Top Colleges, Eligibility, Fees & Scholarships
Study LLB in the UK: Top Colleges, Eligibility, Fees & Scholarships
Passionate about a law career as a barrister or solicitor in the UK than LLB is your gateway to the legal world, offering diverse career paths like politics and journalism. So, study LLB in UK and explore endless possibilities! Although, the UK’s universities embrace a unique approach, allowing law students to complement their core curriculum with subjects like journalism, business, or politics. In conclusion this integration opens doors to a plethora of career possibilities beyond the traditional legal realm.
Although the United Kingdom remains a popular destination to study LLB in the UK for Indian students. However, according to national figures published by the UK government, 486,868 sponsored study visas were issued in the country during June 2022. Of these, 117,965 were given to Indian students, an increase of 80,569 (+215%) compared to 2019.
When you Study LLB in UK it not only equips you with comprehensive legal knowledge but also provides unparalleled exposure to the world of law through accreditation by the Law Society of England and Wales and the Bar Council of England and Wales.
At Shuraa Education, we are here to guide you throughout your academic journey, helping you make informed decisions and assisting with the admission process. So, let’s explore the boundless possibilities to study LLB in UK with Shuraa by your side. Study LLB in UK now and unlock a future filled with endless potential and opportunities!
Benefits of Studying Law in the United Kingdom
Below mentioned are some advantages when you study LLB in UK:
- Some UK institutions offering LLB courses are among the top ten best universities in the world.
- The qualities you’ll acquire while pursuing a law degree in the UK will help you professionally and personally. These skills include teamwork, project management, analysis, research, and attention to detail.
- So, the LLB curriculum in the UK is well-organised and updated frequently to match changes in the legal sector.
- A year of professional placement at a company is an option for Indian law students studying in the UK. Further, they can explore several employment opportunities after getting an LLB degree.
- So, you can expect to be well paid throughout your career as a law graduate, thanks to the stellar reputation of UK law schools and the high degree of expertise required for a profession in law.
- However, with a UK post-study work visa, you can stay and work in the UK after graduating.
- Universities in the UK offer one of the shortest routes to becoming a lawyer or legal expert compared to other nations such as the USA or Canada.
- So, the academic fees, accommodation, and daily expenditures of Indian students studying law in the UK can all be covered with scholarships and other forms of financial aid.
- Although the UK student visa application process is straightforward and quick, it also offers many advantages to Indian law students.
- While studying in the UK, Indian law students can access free medical care through the NHS (National Health Services). They just need to pay a minor International Health Surcharge (IHS) to use the free medical services available.
- The country offers dependable and reasonably priced transportation services to get you to towns and cities in the UK and beyond.
- The UK is a modern society that embraces and respects all nationalities. You’ll meet people from all over the world as an Indian law student in the UK and feel welcomed wherever you go.
Our consultants at Shuraa will be happy to help you at every step of your admission process.
We’re just a phone call away! Reach us at Shuraa Education now.
Top Law Colleges for LLB in UK & their Tuition Fees
Cost of studying law in UK can be very high so following are the top law colleges in UK for LLB and their Tuition Fees so you can estimate your cost of studying in UK in advance.
|QS World Rankings
|Annual Tuition Fees (In GBP)
|University of Oxford
|University of Cambridge
|University College London
|University of Edinburgh
|London School of Economics & Political Science
|King’s college, London
Below mentioned are the details of the LLB colleges in UK:
The Oxford University
The largest university in the United Kingdom and one of the oldest in the English-speaking world is Oxford University. Moreover, the law school offers a wide range of multidisciplinary and legal specializations, making it the best option to study LLB in UK. The university, which ranks tenth in the QS rankings, provides unmatched masters-level legal education. Consequently, It has a significant emphasis on research and is famous for its collaboration with several discussion groups and colloquia. The following are some of the courses Oxford University offers:
- The program for a Bachelor of Civil Law spans a duration of 10 months on a full-time basis. Additionally, it offers an intensive and comprehensive curriculum.
- For those pursuing a Law D.Phil., the program takes 3-4 years to complete on a full-time basis. However, it may extend depending on individual circumstances.
- The Law M.Phil. program is a full-time commitment lasting for 1 year. Furthermore, it provides in-depth insights into legal research and scholarship.
- The Magister Juris (Mjur) program is completed on a full-time basis within a span of 10 months.
Cambridge University is the following on our list. So, one of the oldest and best colleges in the nation, it is famous for its cutting-edge legal research, notably in the areas of criminology and international law making it one of the best options to study LLB in UK. The 13th-century university has 11 research centers, 31 professors, 6 readers, and approximately 70 other staff members. Additionally, the University of Cambridge is one of the top law schools in the United Kingdom and holds the third-best QS ranking. As for the LLB duration in the UK, it includes:
- BA Tripos Bachelor’s Degree Program – full-time – duration of 3 years
- Masters of law – full time – 1 year
- MCL Master’s program in Corporate Law – full-time duration of 9 months.
- Phd – full time – 3 years
- Mlitt – full time – 2 years
University College London
An academically capable group of legal scholars can be found at University College London. An interdisciplinary approach is used by the university in both teaching and research. Debates and discussions are a tradition at University College London; moreover, they are used as a method to develop students’ critical thinking and reasoning abilities. In addition, there is a vibrant student community at University College London that organizes numerous activities. Moreover, various courses are accessible within the university to study law in the UK for Indian students:
- LLB – 3 years – full time
- LLM program duration: 10 months for full-time students and 20 months for part-time students.
- M Phil – full time – 1 year
- D Phil – full-time full-time part-time full-time – 3-4 years
London School of Economics
In addition to being among the top in the UK, the London School of Economics Law School enjoys a superb reputation abroad. The University also pioneered the study of tax law, banking law, corporate law, labor law, civil litigation, and the legal system. So, in the most recent Research Excellence Framework, The LSE’s research output earned it the top spot.
University of Glasgow
The School of Law at the University of Glasgow offers numerous undergraduate and graduate studies in law. Moreover, Glasgow University now has around 1,000 law students enrolled and 49 full-time academic staff members. Additionally, unique study abroad opportunities ensure that you can, if you so want, broaden your horizons even more.
Queen Mary, London University
Since its establishment in 1965, the Queen Mary University of London School of Law has grown to rank among the biggest in the country. Although, the School of Law at Queen’s University is divided into two organizational divisions: the Department of Law and the Centre for Commercial Law Studies. 92 percent of Queen Mary’s research submissions were deemed excellent or world-leading in REF 2021.
Specialized LLB course UK: LLB (Hons)
Imperial College London
Nearly 200 years after it opened, the Dickson Poon School of Law at King’s College London is still educating future leaders in the legal field through research and education.
Focused Programmer: LLM in law
Although, one of the top universities in the world for legal teaching and research is Durham University Law School. Moreover, the university’s academic staff has received honors and is well known for its ground-breaking research. Additionally, they take part in regional and global activities. Although, Durham’s law programmes include a varied student base, and the courses are extremely challenging.
So, our consultants at Shuraa will provide you with all the necessary information regarding Colleges and Universities as per your needs.
Feel free to reach out to Shuraa Education by calling us now.
If you want to study LLB in UK there are two enrollment periods annually: in November and May.
November 2023 Intake
|1 October 2023
|1 November 2023
May 2024 Intake
|1 April 2024
|1 May 2024
One of the most important things to take into account while choosing to study abroad as an international student is the eligibility requirements. The following are some typical entry requirements for the majority of law colleges in the UK, while the requirements vary by university and the programme of your choice:
- Students must have a high school certificate or a diploma that equates to 12 years of study.
- The majority of students who attend schools and colleges in England and Wales, subsequently continue to pursue an academic path that starts with GCSEs followed by A-Levels.
- Most UK law schools require a grade C or B, or a level 4 or higher, in English, maths and in some circumstances, another subject like foreign languages, at GCSE.
- The top law schools in the UK will then need prospective students to have earned at least three A Levels with marks of AAA or AAB, or in some cases, at least one A-Level.
- Students eligible for this opportunity must either be under the age of 18, or 17 and above.
- So, the LSAT, or Law School Admission Test, is necessary in some cases, as determined by the university.
- To be admitted as an international student, a satisfactory level of proficiency in the English language is necessary. The following are the typical cut-off scores for English Language Proficiencies:
- TOEFL: 80-90
- IELTS: 6-6.5
- PTE: 55-59
- CAE: 160-169
- In addition to the previously mentioned qualification requirements, students should also be mindful of the subsequent documentation necessary for the application process:
- Marksheet/ transcript of the minimum qualification
- SOP and LORs
- Scorecard of IELTS/TOEFL/PTE
- Copy of passport
Scholarship Opportunities for LLB Students in the UK
As the LLB fees in UK can be very high so the following scholarships are available to candidates who want to study law in the UK through the UK government and UK law schools:
|Name of the Scholarship
|Government of the UK
|£18,000 [INR 18 lakhs]
|Commonwealth Master Scholarships
|Government of the UK
|£15,600 [INR 15.6 lakhs]
|Gates Cambridge Scholarship
|University of Cambridge
|£500 – £2,000 [ INR 50k – 2 lakhs]
|University of Birmingham
|£3000 [INR 2.59 lakhs]
|Dickson Poon Undergraduate Law Scholarship Programme
|King’s College London
|£18000-36000 [INR 15 – 30 lakhs]
|Law School Scholarships and Grants
|University College London
|£1,000 -12,000 [INR 86k – 12 lakhs]
However, our consultants at Shuraa will provide you with knowledge regarding the best scholarship for your admission in LLB in the UK.
To get in touch with us, simply call Shuraa Education right away.
LLB Cost in UK
The overall cost of studying law in UK for international students encompasses various expenses. The primary cost incurred by Indian students pursuing an LLB degree UK is attributed to the tuition fees. So, according to the university, the programme’s reputation and demand, the location of the university, and other factors, tuition for this course may easily range from £40,000 to £75,000 (about INR 53 lakhs to INR 75 lakhs), with the upper limit going as high as £109,000 (around INR 1 crore). One must consider the cost of living in addition to the price of education in the UK. So, in the UK, the cost of living is typically determined by the city in which you live. Although it is challenging to determine the exact cost that will be incurred, we have provided an estimate of living expenses and LLB in UK fees in the table below.
|Kind of Expense
|Cost in GBP and INR
|Fees for Visa Application
|348 GBP (INR 35,834)
|500 GBP (INR 51,486) Monthly
|150 GBP – 200 GBP (INR 15,445 to INR 19,844) Monthly
|150 GBP -200 GBP (INR 14,883 to INR 20,594) monthly
|Clothing and Leisure
|50 GBP (INR 5,148) Monthly
|Telephone and Mobile
|50 GBP (INR 5,148) Monthly
Student Visa Cost for UK
However, If you are 16 years old or older and want to study abroad in the UK, you can apply for a student visa. In this case, you need to have a letter of acceptance for a course from an authorized student sponsor, can afford to pay for your studies and stay in the UK, are fluent in English, and have documentation proving your parents’ permission. Although, this visa has taken the place of the previous Tier 4 (General) student visa.. Applying from outside the UK should be done six months prior to the start of your study. Three months prior to the start of their study, applicants from the UK may submit their applications.
- Fee for those applying from outside the UK: £363
- Fee for those applying from inside the UK for an extension or for switching to a student visa: £490
How can Indian Students Study Law in the UK?
There is a lot of demand — we advise you to apply for your preferred law school and student visa as early as possible, following the application process with the necessary paperwork. So you can find the general information about the required documentation and procedures below:
Therefore, the first stage of the application procedure to study law in the UK is documentation. The following list includes some of the documents you must submit to the relevant authorities:
- Current passport or other valid travel documentation
- Proof of funds to cover your living expenses for the duration of your LLB course
- Passport-sized colour photographs
- Class 10th and 12th marksheets
- Curriculum Vitae
- Statement of Purpose
- Letter of recommendation
Apart from these, you could need further documents depending on various factors. For example, you could require more documents if you’re under 18 or if you are providing financial support for one or more family members. Although, our experts have access to the complete list of documents necessary for admission and scholarships at a UK law school.
However, Indian nationals must apply for a student visa to pursue LLB, work, and live in the UK. Let’s go through the steps for the visa application to study LLB in the UK for Indian students.
- Choose the law school you want to attend. After being accepted, you will receive an acceptance letter that you will need later for your visa application.
- Based on the duration of their LLB studies, Indian students must apply for either a Short-Term Study Visa or a General Student Visa.
- So, confirm your eligibility and compile the necessary documents. To prove that your spoken and written English meets UK visa requirements, you must also successfully pass an English language test, such as the IELTS or TOEFL.
- The British Embassy in India accepts applications both in person and online. Our experts can provide walkthroughs regarding the visa application process to study law in the UK.
- When you get your acceptance letter, pay the fees and submit the bank statement immediately.
- Applying for scholarships to study LLB in the UK for Indian students is possible after receiving an acceptance letter.
Pursue an LLB in the UK with Shuraa Education
An LLB degree from the UK holds global recognition, endorsed by the Law Society of England and Wales and the Bar Council of England and Wales. However, at Shuraa Education, our dedicated consultants are here to support you every step of the way, ensuring informed decisions for your academic journey. So, to learn more, reach out to us at email@example.com or call us at +91 9319998924. With the Graduate Route allowing post-study work in the UK, your possibilities extend even further, offering a seamless transition from education to a dynamic professional landscape. Although, contact Shuraa today to unlock a world-class legal education and open doors to a versatile and promising career path.
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I get admission to an LLB in the UK?
So, you must have completed class 12 in the UK in order to enroll in an LLB programme. Additionally, IELTS, TOEFL, and PTE scores are required as confirmation of English language competency.
What is the duration of an LLB degree in the UK?
However, the duration of LLB in the UK is 3 years in most universities. However, exceptions could be there.
How much do lawyers earn in the UK?
As per uktalent.com, the average law graduate salary in the United Kingdom is £25,000 per year. The entry-level positions start at £22,000 per year whereas the most experienced workers can earn up to £44,661 per year.
Are there any scholarships to study LLB in the UK?
Yes, there are many scholarships for students who want to study LLB in the UK.
What to do after completing an LLB in the UK?
After completing LLB in the UK, you can go for job roles like Advocate, Magistrate, Legal Analyst, Legal Researcher, Costs Lawyer etc.
Please leave your details and we will contact you shortly!